Airport Planning, Design and Development
Many factors and considerations go into the planning and design of modern airports. Safely moving people, aircraft and cargo in and out of facilities requires coordination, cooperation and collaboration among internal and external stakeholders.
The Airport Planning, Design and Development Professional Education Professional certificate of completion, offered online by Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University – Worldwide, will introduce students to the vast and complex issues of airport planning. Our experienced faculty address how social, regulatory and political changes have influenced today’s planning and design. The certificate of completion will consist of a total of five courses.
To receive the certificate of completion, participants must complete any four of the five courses listed below. Upon completion of the fourth course, participants should email firstname.lastname@example.org to request the certificate.
The courses cover the following areas:
- Airport Planning and Design - 6 weeks
- Airport Security - 6 weeks
- Airport Sustainability and Environmental Management - 6 weeks
- Airport Safety and Certification - 6 weeks
- Introduction to Airport Terminal Planning - is 9 weeks long and results in 4 CEUs. This course is designed to provide an introduction to terminal planning. The course discusses the history of airports, airport components and basic terminal configurations, landside configurations, airside configurations, the business or airports, and contemporary domestic and international terminals. Descriptions of the other four courses are listed below.
- The Airport Planning and Design Course will cover issues such as airport capacity and industry practices in planning, multi-airport systems, terminal planning and airport master planning. The Airport Security Course will address security issues, laws and regulations, physical security, crime prevention, cyber security, and the role of security personnel. The Airport Safety and Certification Course discusses airport certification, emergency plans, runway safety, wildlife management, hazard identification and mitigation, winter operations and airport rescue firefighting. The Airport Sustainability and Environmental Management Course covers definitions, regulations, pillars of sustainability, the application of sustainability, sustainable business making processes, environmental best practices, and the synthesis of sustainability and compliance in all types of airport decisions.
About the Course
- Who Should Attend
Anyone whose career necessitates an understanding of the design and development of airports to include:
- Airport Planner
- State Aviation Planner
- State Department of Transportation representative and staff
- Airport / Aviation Director
- FAA Airports District Office Director and Staff
- Airport Operations Manager (including Airside and Landside Development)
- Airport Planning Consultants
- National, Regional, and Local agencies and associations directing and managing airport planning and design efforts
- Airline Managers
- Key Topics
Airport Planning and Design:
- Understand how the fundamentals of planning and design are integrated into airport facilities. Included is a review of current airport facilities and their industry ranking in terms of passenger movement and cargo throughput.
- Recognize the international differences in planning and design. Understand the physical differences of airport design, including the terminal facilities and aircraft parking.
- Understand the concept of Multi- Airport Systems and how they impact airport planning and design.
- Identify the factors of landside access and egress including intermodal transportation systems to achieve an orderly flow of traffic at the facility. Planning issues related to airport ground access improvements will be examined.
- Understand the concepts and processes of baggage handling systems. Mechanical as well as computerized complex systems will be discussed.
- Understand emergency threats and responses
- Identify duties of the airport security coordinator
- Understand physical security principles and crime prevention.
- Understand current security laws and regulations.
Airport Safety and Certification:
- Airport Certification Requirements
- Airport Emergency Plans
- Airport Rescue Firefighting
- Identifying, Assessing and Mitigating Airport Hazards
- Runway Safety
- Winter Operations
Airport Sustainability and Environmental Management:
- Importance of Sustainability
- Best Practices
- Environmental Regulations
- Sustainability and Environmental Decisions at Airports
- When: Courses are offered quarterly, starting every January, April, July and October - each course is six weeks in length; courses may be taken individually or multiple courses can be taken at once. Register now for courses scheduled to begin on Apr 25, 2018.
- Where: Online; The courses are instructor facilitated and taught in an asynchronous format. The courses have a designated start and end date and have required weekly assignments; however, students are not required to log in at any specified time or day during the week. Students interact with the instructors and fellow students through discussion boards, assignments and email. The courses consist of six one week modules.
- Standard Course Fee: Airport Planning: $499 (The course also requires the purchase of a custom eBook from within the course for $40.05; the book is not included in the standard course fee.)
- Standard Course Fee: Introduction to Airport Terminal Planning: $499 (The course also requires the purchase of a custom eBook from within the course and an additional hardcopy textbook - Aviation Year By Year by Bill Gunston. ISBN 978-0789479860) The price of the ebook is $14.61: The price of the hardcopy book is currently 9.96
- Standard Course Fee: Airport Security: $499 (The course also requires the purchase of one textbook, which is not included in the standard course fee. The price of the text is currently $87.51) The text is: General Aviation Security by Dr. Daniel J. Benny, PhD. ISBN 9781466510876
- Standard Course Fee: Airport Safety and Certification: $499. There are no required textbooks for this class.
- Standard Course Fee: Airport Sustainability and Environmental Management: $499. There are no required textbooks for this class.
Register Now Online >