The Level 3 AUVSI Trusted Operator Program™ (TOP) workshop is designed for certified remote pilots who have completed AUVSI TOP™ Level 1 and Level 2 certifications. The workshop is available online or in person. Level 3 certification provides standards for operating in “safety critical” areas, such as near chemical, oil, gas or nuclear facilities, an extended line of sight, pipeline, power line, and cell tower inspections.
Who Should Attend
According to AUVSI™, Level 3 certification is designed for UAS operations that include any of the characteristics of Level 2 plus the following:
- Operations in safety-critical and complex areas that require higher levels of risk mitigation
- Industrial and chemical facilities, including offshore oil rigs, mine sites, power plants
- Infrastructure, including wind turbines, powerlines, communications towers, rail and pipelines
- Operations in any hazardous or extreme environments including:
- From ships, moving vehicles, aircraft, confined areas and underground
- Within close proximity to and within severe weather (storm research)
- Remote, harsh or hostile locations, including wildlife considerations
- Operations requiring the development and testing of new procedures
Operators are required to already possess an FAA CFR Part 107 certificate and AUVSI TOP™ Level 1 and Level 2 certifications.
- Practical flight assessment (PFA) requirements:
- Students must use their own commercial, off-the-shelf aircraft with a gimbaled RGB camera (e.g., DJI Mavic Pro, Phantom 4, Yuneec Typhoon H).
- Students must bring proof of current RPC
- Students must bring a current logbook
- Students must have commercial liability insurance in place during their PFA (Verifly, SkyWatch AI, or similar with 1 million liability)
- Flight standards will be in accordance with ASTM F3266.7100 and flown on a NIST apparatus
- Batteries must be OEM and not modified
- There is no guarantee that the student will pass the PFA. This course is for experienced users only.
- Transportation to/from the classroom and flight area is the responsibility of the student.
- PFAs are planned for Saturdays. However, if weather precludes completion of PFAs, Embry-Riddle will be available on Sunday as a weather backup. Please note: Embry-Riddle is not responsible if weather precludes completion of the PFA.