An in depth examination of aviation/aerospace activities and interface with the world to gain insight on creating goals that minimize or positively impact the environment. The environment is presented as not only the natural environment, but also the societal and economic settings in which aviation organizations operate on a day to day basis. Potential strategies that influence short and term effects of aviation activities will be developed through evaluation of relevant ICAO and partnering organization guidance.
Upon course completion, students will be able to:
- Summarize the basic concepts of sustainability as they relate to aviation/aerospace industries.
- Interpret the scope of global, regional and local economic and societal impacts from the aviation industry.
- Synthesize ICAO SARPs, Guidance and Standards on managing and mitigating the environmental effects of the aviation industry.
- Differentiate ICAO Assembly Resolutions pertinent to environmental, economic development and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- Relate ICAO overarching guidance on environmental protection, economic development and sustainable development goals to objectives of APAC member states.
- Assess the general processes needed to initiate and build sustainable strategies in aviation and aerospace that meet or exceed ICAO guidance.
- Appraise the use of existing best practices to maximize efficiency and effectiveness in aviation/aerospace operations to meet ICAO guidance and goals.