Continuing Education Units (CEUs)
Course is Part of this Program
Course Dates & Locations
Your registration will be handled by a secure payment system. Credit card information will not be saved.Register
Designed for students who do not speak English as their native language, English for Flight Training Program is a great way to prepare for the high communicative demands of flight training, including communication with Air Traffic Control during flight operations, with flight instructors both on the ground and in the flight deck, and with instructors and peers in the ground school classroom.
With an experienced language teacher, students study foundational topics related to flying, such as aircraft systems, aerodynamics, airport operations, aviation weather, ATIS broadcasts, and more. Students engage with interesting aviation content for two reasons: to build their aviation knowledge and to develop their language proficiency.
This four-week, 120-hour intensive English course utilizes authentic flight training materials to focus on the six ICAO language skills: Interaction, Comprehension, Vocabulary, Structure, Pronunciation, and Fluency.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
1. Understand basic aviation-related vocabulary and content as it pertains to flight training and the broader aviation context
2. Interact with common, concrete aviation-related topics with accuracy, fluency, and clarity
3. Use communicative strategies to exchange messages and to recognize and resolve misunderstandings
4. Use relevant grammatical structures and sentence patterns creatively and in a well-controlled manner, as needed for flight training
5. Use speaking and listening skills to communicate with ATC during routine flight operations with fluency, clarity, and accuracy
6. Understand and apply Automatic Terminal Information Service (ATIS) communications
7. Understand the phases of a routine flight, including Ground, Departure, Practice Area, and Arrival operations, along with their communicative demands
Aviation English Specialist
Embry-Riddle Worldwide – College of Aeronautics
Jennifer Roberts is an Aviation English Specialist serving to develop and implement aviation English programs both locally and internationally. Before coming to Embry-Riddle, she served as an English Language Fellow in Indonesia where she focused on teacher training and program development, shortly after receiving her MA in Applied Linguistics and ESL from Georgia State University.